Sunday, August 4, 2013

Let's Get This Party Started

So, what am I making for my wedding dress?

THIS:

Elizabeth Hawes "Diamond Horseshoe" Fall 1936/1937
And THIS is the back


So pretty. So much draping and slashing and spreading. Ms. Hawes originally conceived this dress as a long-sleeved evening dress.

The original is made from heavy silk jersey and metallic piping, with 6 panels making up the skirt. The bodice has a pleat and gathering at the bust, gathering at the shoulders and a low v-neck.



The Diamond Horseshoe dress with other Hawes creations at the "high Style" exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum 2009
While I am curvier than the original, I thought, hey, perfect! Bias! Bias makes me look pretty and this dress will not be too Va-VOOM.

My version will be made form 3 ply silk crepe in cream/ivory that I got from my beloved Stonemountain & Daughter Fabrics with metallic gold bias as the piping.

I began with using Vogue 1032 as the base pattern for the skirt.  Draping the bodice from scratch is much better than altering the bodice.

So, here is one my first draping drafts for the bodice. In these I have the bodice in the bodice cut on the straight of the grain. Its not quite right, too much volume in the bust:



Also the bodice is in two parts here, I think it needs to be one piece with just gathering stitches at the shoulder seam. Also, I think pitting the top on the bias will be a vast improvement.

More photos to come of the skirt and the slash and spread extravaganza!

5 comments:

  1. Love this! Please post some photos of you in this gorgeous gown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, i realize this is 2 years since you've probably made this gorgeous dress. i am planning to make it as my wedding dress as well and would love some feedback on how it went. I am also concerned about how it would fit on my hourglass-pear shape,since this looks like it would look better on a thin figure than somebody with some shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hourglass and the bias looked great. Granted, I had gotten all svelte for the wedding but it still looked great. I made a lace cooler to cover my arms and it ended up looking boss. I also made a slip for underneath since I did not want too much cleavage. I'll post the finished dress images right now, event though I totally forgot to update this blog!

      Delete
    2. Also, I am wearing high waisted spanks to get my tummy somewhat flat. The girdle life is real.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the response, its good that i remembered to look back at your blog even if apparently you havent had posted for a while. I absolutely love how it turned out, it shows the love that you had put into it and im sure you got alot of compliments too!
      I had guessed right that you wore spanx (or anything that achieves a slimming result) since women back then also used to wear something like a slip (and/or some spanx ancestor) under dresses.
      I don't think the dress shows too much cleaveage but i'll have to see how confortable im with it when its almost done.
      Thank you dozens for your response and i hope to get back to you with feedback about how mine turned out!Kisses!

      Delete